Sunday, July 10, 2016

The Merchant of Venice - Shakespeare

"You’ll ask me why I rather choose to have
A weight of carrion flesh than to receive
Three thousand ducats. I’ll not answer that
But say it is my humour. Is it answered?
What if my house be troubled with a rat
And I be pleased to give ten thousand ducats
To have it baned? What, are you answered yet?
Some men there are love not a gaping pig,
Some that are mad if they behold a cat,
And others, when the bagpipe sings i' th' nose,
Cannot contain their urine. For affection,
Mistress of passion, sways it to the mood
Of what it likes or loathes. Now, for your answer:
As there is no firm reason to be rendered
Why he cannot abide a gaping pig;
Why he, a harmless necessary cat;
Why he, a woollen bagpipe, but of force
Must yield to such inevitable shame
As to offend, himself being offended—
So can I give no reason, nor I will not
(More than a lodged hate and a certain loathing
I bear Antonio), that I follow thus
A losing suit against him. Are you answered?"
--Shylock from "The Merchant of Venice" (Act 4, Scene 1)

No comments:

Post a Comment

காலம் காலமாக நம்மை யாரேனும்

 காலம் காலமாக   நம்மை யாரேனும்  நினைவில் வைத்திருத்தல்  அத்தனை இலகுவான விடயமா என்ன அதற்கு  ஏதெனுமொரு காரியத்தை  பெரிதாய் செய்திருக்க வேண்டும...